Fish-Hawk Salmon Adventure - April 20-21

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
jazman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Fish-Hawk Salmon Adventure - April 20-21

Post by jazman »

The plans for the Fish-Hawk Salmon outing started about a month ago with a PM to a friend on Fish-Hawk. “Markus, I am working too much and I need a break. Can you get me out in April?” Markus had it set up in no time and proceeded to open his door (literally) to any and all who wanted to join up.

RJ, Big-O, MuskieMagnet, Eye-Tracker and I headed out on Thursday afternoon and got into Markus’s place around 11:00. Warm welcome from Pink Lady and after some catching up we were off to bed for our 2:30 wake up call (gulp). Big-O’s threats of an unpleasant wake up call were heeded any everyone was up and good to go for 3:00. Usual stop for coffee and we were onto the 1.5 hour drive to Jordan on Lake Ontario.

DAY 1

We arrived to amazing weather, the winds were down and the water was like glass. We got launched and were fishing by 5:30. Markus and RJ gave me a lesson on using the large planer boards – very nice setup. About an hour in – Fish On!! Being the rookie, the guys had put me in position 1 – first hit was to be mine. I was in a bad position to get to the rod so RJ slammed home the hook and handed it off. I had a short fight and Markus netted this 17.9 LB Chinook for me.

After a few pictures, we got set back up and were good to go again. As it turned out, RJ handing off that rod turned out to be much nicer than originally thought as it was the only salmon our boat saw that morning. By 10:30 the waves were nearing 4 feet and starting to cap – not impossible conditions but Markus had a plan B – Drifting on the Niagara.

Eye-Tracker, Big-O and Muskiemagnet agreed and started pulling in – Muskiemagnet was bringing in a rod when it got slammed – We watched as he brought in a gorgeous 5-6 lb Chinook.

We headed in and made the way to the Niagara.

RJ caught a few minutes sleep at every opportunity – it was that kind of weekend

We were on our first drift a few hours later.

We mixed it up, one guy used Roe, one used a streamer and for our Fish-Hawk buddy Floatfishin – one guy used a pink worm. We had a few misses and about an hour later, my luck continued with a loud “Fish On!”. We were using a 3-way swivel / weight and fluorocarbon lead setup for the drift and given the crystal clear water I put on a good 10 feet lead – on a 7 foot rod. The problem with this was not apparent until a few minutes later when I had the fish to the boat and I had to hang off the back of the boat to get the fish close…oops. Got really lucky and another fine net job had a 5-6 lb bow in the boat.

Note what is in the trout’s mouth… yup – a pinkie.

That was out last fish of the day and we headed back to Markus’s later that afternoon.

Later that evening RRC and MT Livewell got in and soon headed for some sleep.

DAY 2

After another nap (2-3 hours sleep can only be described this way!) we headed back out to Jordan It did not look good from Markus’s place, winds were fierce from the East but we had to see….

The waves were already capping and rolling onto one another – it was not meant to be. The few boats who tried to go out soon returned.

A big gang showed up to say hello. Legend, MoonDog, Hoss, FishforFun, Crash, Skooter, Hoover, Squig69, Jammer13, SteveHamilton (hope I got everyone).

Plan B was put into place again – back to the drift. A few headed back to get some tackle and the rest headed for Coffee. While the gang was having coffee, someone helped themselves to Steve-Hamilton’s tackle box.

We were on the drift again a few hours later. It was slow; everyone we talked to had one or none. One fish did come in, from Squig69 – another 5-6 lb’er.

Markus, RJ, Jammer and I started to pack up to find some cats somewhere. We were on our way back when Jammer thought we should try the Nanticoke outflow for some Silver Bass… we did just that.

We found a few SM & LM which got their picture taken and released.

Then came Jammer’s battle. He set the hook on what we thought was a nice channel cat until it would not move. He fought this fish for a good 20-25 minutes - line peeling out – Markus chasing it down with the boat as it headed back to the lake. A few minutes in, Markus and RJ called it – a big Carp. They turned out to be right though at times we all hoped it might have been a big ol’ brown.

Jammer was rewarded with this 31 lb carp. She was a monster.

Well fought – Well done.

The fog was getting thick so we headed back to Markus’s for a night of laughs and poker.

We had breakfast the next morning, shook hands and wished each other well until the next great Fish-Hawk adventure – See you guys at WestMeath!
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I told ya they work :lol: :lol: :lol:

Awsome report guys, and some wicked shots too!!!!!!!!

F.F
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

jazman,

This is one of those reports that makes me feel as though I was there, too (I WISH) !!

Awesome read and the pics were great. What a great outing, with some great looking fish (I'm sure FF will comment on the pink bait for the 'bow). :wink:

Thx for a great post. Loved it.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

FLOATFISHIN wrote::D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I told ya they work :lol: :lol: :lol:
HA! Told ya! (But he beat me to it!)

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Despite the crapy weather, I had a great weekend guys. I came down with some kind of bug on Friday and I still haven't been able to shake it..still can't talk.

You guys all make great guests and my door is always open to ya. I sure feel bad for some of the guys that made the trek down to be faced with the crappy conditions we got. RRC, JimW, MT....you guys gotta try it again in a few weeks if ya can. Actually, Bill isn't home yet! :lol:

I'm glad some of you got a snapshot of the salmon fishing off Jordan/Weller/50/Port D. Some also got to see the Niagara River drifts for the first time....and again too bad the fishing sucked.

I sure wish a few boats would have come back and tried erie with us. What a blast. SiverBass, Rock Bass, Carp, Sheepies, Shad, and of course the odd oos SM and LM. After drifting the Niagara all morning in that slow action, you'd be suprised how excited a guy gets when he hooks into a rockie! :lol:

That carp was something else. Great work Jammer. Light rod and 8lb test and a ton of patience was the key.

Good time guys. Can't wait to do it again.
jammer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jammer »

All i can say is what a crew!!! What a great bunch of guys!! My throat is half raw and my sides still hurt from all the laughter!! :lol: It was nice to meet some new fish-hawk faces.:
Jazzman
RJ
Muskymagnet
Eye Tracker
Hoss
Legend
MoonDog
RRC
Skooter
As well as the fella's i have met previous that were in attendance, good to see you's again...

A special thanks to Squig and Markus for allowing me on there vessels for the day i had a blast!!!

The outflow saved the day!!! Great netting skills by Jazzman and RJ!! :wink:

That Carp was a tank and a personal best!!!

Thanks again everyone!!
Jammer
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I put a shadow of this topic in Fishing Talks too. I know a lot of folks that don't fish the big ponds seldom visit the GL Forum. Thought it'd be nice for folks to see a few different species of fish.

Where's RJ's chubbie rock bass pic? :lol:
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Fantastic!!
To bad about some of the unfortunate stuff but looks like a good time otherswise.

Nice fish and a good bunch of guys...Great write up Jaz!
Cracker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Cracker »

Great report, Jazman! I'd love to hook into a big salmon some day!
jazman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by jazman »

Here you go Markus - that was one big Rock Bass

SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D Excellent report guys..and the gauntlet has been thrown by Jammer to see who beats his carp..I think its time I visit John in Ottawa for some monster lessons. :wink: Nice fish Jazzman...got to love a screaming reel..and real good sizes on the silvers and bass...better get my boat ready..looking at this I feel the urge to get back at it!
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Sorry about the double post....I acidently created a second copy when I made a shadow in the Fishing Talks forum. I'm scared to delete one in case they both dissapear. :oops:
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

I had a great time despite the weather. It's good to see you guys got into some fish at last on Saturday!
iankrzyzanowski
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by iankrzyzanowski »

Awsome reports lads!! Looks like some good fun!
muskymuskymusky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Great....

Post by muskymuskymusky »

Great report, Nice pics glad you guys had some fun even though the weather wasnt the best. Who won at poker? :wink: