Bucktail Jigging for Weed Walleye

Various Articles either written by ourselves, or submitted by the community.
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Bucktail Jigging for Weed Walleye

Post by JustinHoffman »

“Bucktail Jigging For Weed Walleye”

By

Justin Hoffman

When walleye head to the shade of the salad, or cruise along the edge of vegetation, a bucktail jig can be your greatest tool for seducing them to strike. Not only is the undulating hair a visual stimulant, but also the erratic cadence of the bait as it is ripped and jigged with vigor. Working bucktails is a different game than with regular jigs, but the technique speaks for itself with the big results you’ll be rewarded with.

A standard bucktail jig is comprised of a lead head, with layers of bucktail tied and glued to the collar of the bait. Strands of tinsel are often interwoven, adding an additional aspect in terms of visual attraction. When moving, the hair forms a streamlined body, replicating a baitfish perfectly. At rest the hair fans out, adding a different dimension in terms of appearance. In comparison to a jig and plastic, the bucktail is far superior in terms of weedlessness, making them an excellent choice when the cover becomes thick and the walleye go into hiding.

The Laws of Rip Jigging

Rip jigging is a specialized technique that can produce astounding results. The premise is simple : flip a bucktail jig out twenty feet or so. Let it make contact with the bottom vegetation, then give a quick and sharp snap of the rod, breaking the jig free from the snag and sending it up and above the cover. Repeat process.

Depending on the mood of the fish, rips can be positively violent or more controlled. I find that the warmer the weather, the more aggressive you can be.

Walleye are an opportunistic feeder. They will conceal themselves in the thickest of cover, waiting to ambush an unsuspecting baitfish as it swims by. Ripping a bucktail jig through the salad will easily get their attention (due to the commotion it causes) and make them commit to the speedy meal before it gets away. Depending on the mood of the fish, they will either smack it as it breaks free from the green stuff, or rise to engulf it as it slowly falls back down.

This is one technique that has worked well for me during the fall period. Fish will raise their activity level and feedbag at this time, and when the wind howls and the fish move shallow, you can definitely get into a bunch.

In terms of tipping options for rip jigging, I prefer to go the route of none. Minnows and worms won’t last long with the constant weed contact, and due to the speed of the retrieve (and split second reaction time), I haven’t found that it makes much of a difference in terms of catch rates.

Dunking For Fish

Although it may seem better suited for catching largemouth, dunking the weed pockets for walleye is a tried and true technique. Shallow water and expansive weed flats make up the playing field for this tactic, and a stout rod and bucktail jigs round out the arsenal.

Pounding depths between four and 10-feet is your best option, and clear water is always your best bet.

Work weed flats and clumps with the wind or an electric motor, lowering a heavy bucktail jig into every hole and edge you drift over. Let it sink directly to bottom, and give it a few lifts and drops before moving on. (I prefer to leave my bait in each hole for at least ten seconds before trying the next.)

Walleye will situate themselves on these edges, both inside and out, pouncing on any bait that free falls into their lair. Visually, this is a fun and exciting tactic to employ, as most fish are actually observed sucking up the bait in the blink of an eye, and quickly charging back into the weeds! A lightening quick hook set and medium-heavy rod is recommended if you hope to put a net under the belly of any of them.

Tipping your jig with a minnow or worm is an excellent choice for this short-line tactic, as the fish has more time to be convinced to strike, and scent can be a contributing factor for that.

Swimming Them In

When walleye are scattered over weed flats, and the vegetation is low and uniform in height, swimming a bucktail jig back to the boat can be a hot ticket. The rules are simple: cast your bait out and start reeling in, keeping your jig just above the weeds, and imparting the odd lift or two into your retrieve. This will allow you to cover large areas of water, and help you pick off those fish that are actively cruising while feeding.
Your presentation will resemble a minnow making its way along bottom, and an easy meal in the eyes of our yellow predator.

Top Ten Tips For Bucktail Fishing

1. For clear water conditions, match the hatch when it comes to colour.
Murky water requires brighter hues.

2. Braided line gets the nod for working bucktails in the weeds.

3. Check line regularly throughout the course of the day.

4. Apply ample amounts of scent to the hair of the bait.

5. Choose high quality jigs that sport strong and laser sharp hooks.

6. In rough conditions, choose brighter colours that will aid in attracting
fish better.

7. Lighter jigs work better for swimming, while heavier jigs work best
for ripping and dunking.

8. Heavy equipment is key. This is no place for ultralight combos or
low diameter line.

9. Watch for line movement or “bumps.” This can often signal a fish.

10. Take note of where fish are found. Then search for other areas on
the lake that are similar in make up.

- - 30 - -
Justin Hoffman
Field Editor - Ontario Out of Doors Magazine
Fishing Writer / Wildlife Photographer
www.JustinHoffmanOutdoors.com
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Geez I've been doing good all summer, staying away from eye fishing and concentrating on bass. But this article sure makes hard to resist the need to toss a few walleye jigs. maybe it's time for a walleye outing.

Thanks Again Justin.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Good read Justin!!...thanks.
farmerkid
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by farmerkid »

great post!

I'll have to try that out soon.
Suddsy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Suddsy »

Thanks Justin, as usual that was a great report and very helpful. :!: 8)

Suddsy
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Well this is quite timely as well. It was only the other night at Jim's appreciation night where I met Justin for the first time after several PM's and E-mails over the course of a few years. I had remembered reading another article that Justin wrote on Ripping Jigs for walleye and tried it this year for myself. I still need some practise as I wasn't very successful, but I do believe in the technique and I will master it.

Thanks once again Justin and great to finally meet you and have a little chat. We need to definately get out fishing next year.

cheers,
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

How do you stop the cabbage from getting hooked up all the time??? It looks like the jig hook sticks way out.
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Bucktails?.............I don't have any bucktails :shock: ............WAIT. :idea: :idea:

I'll dig out the fly tying stuff and make some up 8)

Sounds like an excuse to hit the Rideau one last time :D :D

Thanks Justin. Your articles have been a great source for tackle and tactics for me.

DropShot'r
Fishin'Nut
Participant
Participant

Post by Fishin'Nut »

Awesome article. I have some questions. How much hair do you tie on a jig? I have tied a couple of hair jigs but I am not too sure if I put too much hair on or not. Do you keep it lean or go bulky for a larger appearance in the water? Thanks.

Rob
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Fishin'Nut wrote: How much hair do you tie on a jig?
Thats a bit of a loaded question.

If you torque all the hair really tight with the thread you can make the jig look like a pocupine.

I would start with a bunch of hair about the diameter of a pencil and go from there. For color or comosition ideas go to some online fishing catalogs and scrutinize the different brands of bucktails.

I will experiment with a few different styles. I will tie about 3/4 of the hair just tight enough to get a bit of a bulge. The last bit will be torqued to get a nice hair blossom. I will try to ge a few with all the hair starting a good blossom as well.

Good luck,

DropShot'r
BIG-A-
Participant
Participant

Post by BIG-A- »

Hey Justin, what an amazing read. It sure is nice to see so much information posted on open forums like this.

I've read many of your other articles and I've enjoyed them all.

Please keep it up :D
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

There's always some extra info or fine tuning that your guidance provides, Justin. I have bucktail jigs that get very little workout. :oops: I've done better and better for walleye each season, so will next apply some of your ideas. Rippin' through the salad is not something I would have tried for walleye b4, but it's being stored away in my middle-aged memory for future outings. We'll hope for the best!

Great article - well written! THANKS!

W.
coolspiderdude
Participant
Participant

Post by coolspiderdude »

another excellent article, especially for a rookie like me! I have a few bucktails, and have only trolled with them to limited sucess, will try these technique out soon!
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by katch moore »

Justin these articles are great!!! i have a couple friends who always ask me if you have another tip up.

keep it up,

are you doing any ice fishing articles this year....??