Poached Salmon ala Rigger

Lots of people love fish. They are good for you and taste great. Please tell us how you prepare and cook your fish.
Rigger
Participant
Participant

Salmon recipe

Post by Rigger »

I've read a few posts here lately about guys not liking larger salmon, in the 15 or over size, even some suggested over 5 lbs, there might be something to be said about the old saying of dont blame the meat blame the cook!

I fish with a guy that used to hate to eat any type of salmonidae. This was GREAT, because he is an excellent fisherman.. that equals lots of extra fillets in my freezer! Anyway one day I make the fatal mistake of inviting him and his wife over for dinner. (I do 90% of the cooking..ameture chef)
Now he keeps his fish, loves salmon now,

Take a salmon, anysize, skinless boneless fillets(I believe if you get a strong fish smell/taste the skin is probably the reason and most recepes especially planking mentions leaving on the skin). I disagree. The next trick is, you lay down a a whole salmon fillet from the gill plates to the tail, find the spot about half way down where the last little floater bone is located. Cut the slab in half right there. I smoke the front half, the rear portion , the tail section is the best for these types of recipes.

Poached Salmon ala Rigger

you will need:

Boneless skinless fillets(one per person
1 tsp salt
water
FRESH dill, about 2 tbl spoons diced up. again must be fresh
1 tbl spoon olive oil
1 garlic clove
lemon wedge

Sauce:

1 and 1/2 cup wine wine, any DRY white,( Cheap this not the place to use the 1967 bottle of Chateau Bordeaux)
Big slice about 1'thick of butter block
1/ 1/2 inch slice of cream cheese block
pinch of Old Bay Spice or Cajun (your choice)

Make the sauce first, in a small sauce pan
melt the butter , on hi but dont let it turn brown,
mix in the cream cheese, stir constantly untl blended, You can cheat and mix first in a food proccesor, but its messy
add your wine, little garlic and spice, simmer till it thickens a bit.
set aside

Take a large frypan deep enoungh to hold enough water to cover the entire fish.
Boil the dill and lemon and garlic, oil for ATLEAST five mintes before adding fish.
Place fish in boiling water for 5 -6 minutes only, no need to turn over(ITs covered with water Right?) Pour sauce over top serve on a bed of wildrice ENJOY.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Thanks Rigger, I'll give that one a go to sometime!