Most basic of basic questions... spooling a reel...

Viewable only by Admins and selected Moderators. Simply move any questionable posts from the forums into here, which no one else can see, and I'll deal with it when I get a chance to.
tallpaul
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Most basic of basic questions... spooling a reel...

Post by tallpaul »

Hey, just picked up a baitcaster... decided to spool it last night just so that I can get outside and start "practicing" with it.
I've spooled my spinning reels before, and I'm not sure I was doing that right, but it always seemed to work out alright.
So, what do you guys do (for spinners, baitcasters, or is it the same)? Starting with the very beginning... attaching the line to the spool.
what I've typically done is tie it to the spool using a clinch knot... this didn't seem to work/hold as well with the baitcaster though... smaller, aluminum (well, metal) spool and the line wouldn't "grab" and I couldn't really seem get the knot small enough (small work space and large hands)... it did "grab" though and I spooled it up. For resistance, I typically put some pillows over top of the line and then just reel it in (gives a good/consistent amount of resistance... but maybe not enough?).
Like I said... it always seemed to work, but it's my first baitcaster, and I want to do it "right". :)

thanks in advance.

cheers,
tallpaul
Jale
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jale »

If you put a few yards of regular mono on the spool first it will eliminate the slipping that you are talking about if using braid.

I believe that it should be spooled on the reel way it comes off the spool if you know what i mean.

Joe
tallpaul
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by tallpaul »

the slipping I mean is just that I couldn't get the knot tight enough to hold onto the spool... (so, I'm wondering what knot is best?, or does it even matter as long as I can get the line to start spooling?)
I'm using Mono, but have heard that if using braided, then some mono should be put on first... so, I'll keep that in mind if/when I give it a try.
In terms of directions, I am guessing you mean that the spool of line should roll/turn as the line comes off... as opposed to the spool being still, and the line peeling off over the edge of it (so that it looks kind spiraled as it comes off). ?? I must admit, I didn't pay much attention to that since I was just spooling it "temporarily", but will keep it "straight" the next time.
Anyway... thanks!

cheers,
tallpaul

Post by Guest »

To prevent slipping on my muskie reels, I put a piece of duct tape around the spool before I put any line on. This prevents any slipping for me. I then tie a very basic knot. Nothing fancy, just something that holds the line on. Works for me, and I've never had a problem.

HW
Steve G
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Steve G »

Use an Arbor knot, should be able to find the link on the FH main page.

M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Steve G has the best knot listed there.
I, however, am terrible at tying knots, so I just use a granny knot and roll it slow till it starts going on.

Now, with that said, the best way to get the line off of the spool ...
1) place the spool is a bowl of water with the label facing up. The spool should float.
2) run the line from the bowl through a phone book (open the book up to the middle, feed the line into the crack :D , and close the phone book.

This should give you just enough tension as you are filling the spool.
And, don't over fill the spool. If this is your first baitcaster, too much line can usuall mean easy birds nests (professional over runs as we like to call 'em).

Good luck.

M.T. Livewell
Hoser
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hoser »

If you have the space, when I spool up new line I tie the end around a tree and walk off 99% of the line then set the drag and walk slowly reeling it all back in. Tightens everything up much better. Bit of mono first for sure with braided.
Hoser
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hoser »

I'd better put a footnote here. Be careful there is nobody close by if you try this. I almost decapitated my ex wife who walked right into the line and didn't see it.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Hoser wrote:I almost decapitated my ex wife who walked right into the line and didn't see it.
Ah darn...better luck next time... :lol:
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
Hoser
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hoser »

I think we liked each other at the time, but in retrospect, it would have been a lot cheaper than the divorce :lol:
Tomcat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Tomcat »

tallpaul:

I copied the following from somewhere - didn't write down the reference.

How to Spool Line Onto Reels

Baitcasting Reels:
Run line through the rod guides and the level-wind device on the reel, then attach to the reel spool with an arbor knot. The line spool should turn as line is fed onto the reel. Hang the line spool vertically on a nail or insert a pencil though the hole in the center of the spool and have someone hold the pencil as line is wound off the spool and onto the reel. Or drop the line spool into water, it will float and the spool will turn as line is wound onto the reel. Add tension to the line by squeezing it between the thumb and a finger as you wind it onto the reel. Fill the reel to within 1/8 inch of the lip of the spool.

Spinning Reels:
Since the reel spool does not rotate, the line spool should not rotate either. Lay the line spool flat on the floor with the label side pointing up. Uncoil line from the line spool and run it through the rod guides and tie to the reel spool with an arbor knot. Add tension to the line with the thumb and a finger as you wind it onto the reel . After 10 or 15 turns of the reel handle, lower the tip to give slack to the line. If the line lays in relatively neat coils, continue filling the reel. If it twists or kinks, turn the line spool over and wind on line. Fill the reel to within 1/8 inch of the lip of the spool.
BigSim
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BigSim »

You know, I would have thought that was a basic question too, and honestly, one I couldn't properly answer, and I've heard alot of sutff about spooling, but whats the point of putting the spool in water before running it through the phonebook?

BigSim
fisher
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fisher »

Hoser wrote:I think we liked each other at the time, :lol:
SURE!!!We belive you :roll:
is thats why you tied the line at her neck level? :lol: :lol:
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Now this has been proven to me in the past, but for your awnser Sim water makes the line apply to the reel easier, and more times than not, I have found wet line spooled onto a reel of the spool helps eliminate memory in the line!!

F.F
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spence Scout »

Wet your line i recommend that to everyone at the store.. FF has the right idea wokrs way better.. and dont put line on backwards :)