Skegshield for Evinrude or Johnson

Viewable only by Admins and selected Moderators. Simply move any questionable posts from the forums into here, which no one else can see, and I'll deal with it when I get a chance to.
bostonwhaler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Skegshield for Evinrude or Johnson

Post by bostonwhaler »

I have been told to never put one of these on my boat. Skags are designed to take the damage of minor hits and bruises. I would compare it to running a stainless prop vs aluminum. if a stainles prop hits something you are going to ruin more than just the prop. If you have a skag protector on an you hit something you will be replacing your lower end. I could be wrong, but this is what I have been told by marine mechs, and it makes sense
Hollywood catches more perch than me
spinner
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Skegshield for Evinrude or Johnson

Post by spinner »

bostonwhaler wrote:I have been told to never put one of these on my boat. Skags are designed to take the damage of minor hits and bruises. I would compare it to running a stainless prop vs aluminum. if a stainles prop hits something you are going to ruin more than just the prop. If you have a skag protector on an you hit something you will be replacing your lower end. I could be wrong, but this is what I have been told by marine mechs, and it makes sense
You are misinformed imo - first of all -- dealers make a lot more money repairing you skeg annually than selling a skegguard which most don't carry, have likely rarely if ever sold one and aren't always up to speed on all products and their improvements..
They are also designed so that the bolts will break on a severe impact so that the damage you speak about is avoided. They prevent the minor cracks, dings, tips breaking off and bent skegs that happen all too often as well as being used to restore your skeg versus the need for a costly repair and the time lost on the water while waiting which can be lengthy during the summer. Read the reviews on the product and you will see they are very good. I could go on but that's enough.
Also - look into the cost of repairing a skeg properly - not cheap!